do you want the best car dealer school in california ???


Click on an city for class locations, times and information:

Private Classes for Renewal and Pre-License Students
We provide you the ability to operate your dealership within current DMV guidelines. You get to sit back and relax for 4 to 6 hours of dealer education (renewals 4 hr/ pre-licensing 6 hr). We will have you review your dealership with a series of questions and at the end of the course we will provide the course completion form.We teach private classes in all locations listed above as well as:

· Aptos
· Clovis
· Fresno
· Novato
· Ukiah

Prices for these classes:
1) $200 private renewal
2) $300 private pre-licensing

Additionally, we offer a “travel out” to your location
· the cost is $800 for up to three students, $200 for each additional student
· statewide coverage
· limited by our availability

Contact us for availability

Pre-License Only Class Options and Information:
· You must attend the class in person (6 hrs).
· You will study and take the DMV practice exam similar to the one given by your local inspector.
· A course certificate suitable for framing will be presented upon completion.
· Your certificate is good for one year.
· All materials are included.

Prices for these classes:
1) $100 – take our online tutorial before attending class & get $100.00 off your tuition
2) $200 – saves your seat
3) $300 – private pre-licensing class

clovis car dealer classes

becoming a car dealer has never been easier

we teach more classes in more locations

than any other car dealer education provider

dmv certified since 1998

prices start at $ 100.






car dealer carfax alternative

Sign up for a VinAudit Dealer Account

Please register here to receive a Dealer Account for bulk access to NMVTIS reports. For instant activation, please fill all required fields.

Your Name:
Business Name:
Full Address:
Zip Code:
Website (optional):
 I agree to the VA Partner Agreement.
 I agree to the NMVTIS Disclaimer.

every car dealer must file a DBA

every car dealer applicant must file a DBA

this allows you to open the required car dealer bank account
you must present the filed DBA to your dmv inspector

good luck



fresno car dealer school

we are the real deal

we begin year 17 in april

come have lunch on us

and get certified to become a car dealer


Car Dealer School

sony duong can hook you up at the garden grove car dealer class

we call the dealer surety bond

a pretty pot of gold that

you must create and present to the dmv

it is a promise to three agencies of state government

the bond has a 12 month coverage period

with a three year claims period

for example:

2014 sales are covered thru 2017

by posting a bond you promise to:

always pay the dmv for fees and penalties

always pay the board of equalization its sales tax

honor all judicial orders for repayment

if you break your promise

the agency exercises your bond

the bond company makes payment to the agency

and you must make immediate repayment to the bond company

old school dealers have posted cash or savings

with a 3 year hold after you close the business

new school rents the money from the bond company

with the bond preminum based on the collective credit of the owners

wholesale only dealers with 24 sales per year or less can post a $ 10k bond

with preminums starting @ $ 300 per year

wholesale dealers above 24 sales per year or retail dealers

must post a $ 50k bond

with preminums starting at $ 850 per year

multiple year purchases are available with some discount

preminums for those with poor credit can exceed $ 5k per year with a $ 5k deposit

we suggest you contact sony at unipoint insurance services

( 714-677-0843 )

for an immediate bond quote

good luck





always be careful with salvage vehicles

Nashville flood car

Sometimes a car deal sounds too good to be true – in which case, it may very well turn out to be a salvage. Most times you want to steer clear of these. Case in point involves vehicles with a salvage title.

When a vehicle has a salvage title, it typically means that at some point in its history it has been declared a total loss by an insurance company. This could be the result of an accident, fire, vandalism or other natural or man-made disaster. The damage the vehicle sustained has to be worth 75 percent of more of its value. Stolen vehicles that were recovered could also wind up with a salvage title in some states.

Another instance where a car ultimately carries a salvage title is government cars used for testing. After the testing is complete and the government has no further use for them, they are sold with a salvage title.

The salvage title is issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), depending on the state, after going through an inspection. Note that inspection procedures vary from one state to another, with some being a simple VIN and emissions system check and others requiring a full inspection. Once a car has a salvage title, it cannot be driven, sold or titled in its current condition.

Salvage title cars may be able to be repaired and the DMV could issue a new title after a safety inspection. The vehicle will be “branded” as a salvage-title or restored salvage or resalvaged vehicle so that any prospective buyers know what they’re getting.

Is buying a car with a salvage title that’s been repaired always a bad idea? Experts say that if you have the time, money and are willing to go through having the vehicle properly repaired, a salvage title vehicle may be one choice. On the other hand, it could be a lengthy and expensive proposition, one that you might be better to avoid. Stick with a thoroughly inspected and mechanically sound used vehicle sold by a reputable dealer or private seller.


Follow The Car Connection on FacebookTwitter and Google+.

car dealer license application help from the DMV


The purpose of this pamphlet is to inform the prospective vehicle dealer applicant of the requirements to obtain
a license from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and provides detailed information and instructions in
completing and submitting your application.




We have tried to arrange this book in much the same order you should follow in establishing your business. In
addition, to assist you, we’ve created check lists (New Dealer Application, OL 249A or Used Dealer and Autobroker,
OL 249B or Dealer-Wholesale Only, OL 248C) listing the items required when submitting your application to the
department. These check lists may be downloaded from our website at



The information required on the attached forms pertain to eligibility for issuance of an occupational license. It is
required under authority of Division 5 of the California Vehicle Code. Failure to provide the information is cause for
refusal to issue an occupational license.


Application information is public record, regularly used by law enforcement agencies, and is open to inspection by
the public. Some information contained in these records is classiied as conidential or personal pursuant to the
Information Practices Act of 1977 and the Public Records Act and is exempt from disclosure. Individuals are entitled
to inspect or obtain copies of information contained in their record during regular office hours.
The Deputy Director of the Licensing Operations Division,

2570 24th Street, Sacramento, CA. 95818,

is responsible
for maintaining record information.



Section 285 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC) deines a dealer who:
(a) For commission, money, or other thing of value, sells, exchanges, buys or offers for sale, negotiates or attempts
to negotiate, a sale or exchange of an interest in a vehicle subject to registration or a motorcycle, snowmobile,
subject to identiication under this code, or induces or attempts to induce any person to buy or exchange an
interest in a vehicle and, who receives or expects to receive a commission, money brokerage fees, proit, or any
other thing of value, from either the seller or purchaser of said vehicle; or
(b) Is engaged wholly or in part in the business of selling vehicles or buying or taking in trade, vehicles for the
purpose of resale, selling, or offering for sale, or consigned to be sold, or otherwise dealing in vehicles, whether
or not such vehicles are owned by the person.



A background investigation is conducted on all applicants and disclosure of a conviction may result in a temporary
operating permit not being issued.
Failure to disclose any and all convictions may result in the refusal, denial, or revocation of your license.
Pursuant to CVC Section 11703, the department may refuse to issue a license to any applicant who has been
convicted of a crime or committed any act or engaged in any conduct involving moral turpitude which is substantially
related to the qualiications, functions, or duties of the licensed activity.
A plea of nolo contendere is a conviction within the meaning of this section. In addition, Article 4 and Article 6.1
of Title 13, of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) provide guidelines used by the department in determining
whether a license should be issued.


$175.00 Nonrefundable original application fee.
$ 1.00 Family Support Program fee.
$100.00 Autobroker (plus original application fee).
$ 70.00 For each branch location (if applicable).
$225.00 New Motor Vehicle Board Fee
Required for new auto-commercial and motorcycle dealers, all-terrain vehicle, motorhome, and
recreational trailer dealers only per location.
$ 70.00 For each dealer plate (plus county fees, if applicable).*
$ 72.00 For each motorcycle plate (plus county fees, if applicable).*
* This figure will vary depending on the county where your business is located. Contact your Inspector for the total
plate fee due for your location.
NOTE: Plates are optional, not mandatory.
Applicants with convictions, prior departmental actions, business bankruptcies, and/or outstanding
civil judgements related to the automobile industry, must file an Abbreviated Application.


• OL 248A New Dealer Application Check List OR
OL 248B Used Dealer, Dealer-Wholesale Only, and Autobroker Application Check List
• OL 12 Application for Original Occupational License, (Part C)
• OL 21A Original Application for Occupational License, (Part A)
• OL 25 Surety Bond of Dealer ($50,000) OR
OL 25B Surety Bond of Motorcycle Dealer, Motorcycle Lessor-Retailer, All-Terrain Vehicle
Dealer, or Wholesale-Only Dealer (Less Than 25 Vehicles Per Year) $10,000


OL 65/OL 94 with Cash Bond


OL 64/OL65 with Passbook or Certiicate of Deposit

• OL 53 Authorization to Release Financial Information
• OL 124 Certiicate of Proposed Franchise
Required for new automobile, commercial, motorcycle, all- terrain vehicle, motorhome, and
recreational trailer dealers only.
• OL 902 Property Use Veriication for Vehicle Dealer’s License
• OL 29 Application for Occupational License Personal History Questionnaire, (Part B)
Required for each person listed under ownership on form OL 12.
• ADM 9050 Appointment of Director as Agent for Service of Process
• DMV 8016 Request for Live Scan Clearance (yellow copy).
Required for each person completing form OL 29. Details on page 9. Out-of-state applicants
call Occupational Licensing at (916) 229-3126 for Fingerprint Card (ADM 1316).



• Used Vehicle Dealer or Dealer Wholesale-Only license only
− The original Certiicate of Completion issued by a dealer education program provider
− Proof of successfully passing the Used Dealer Test administered by DMV
• Corporation, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership Owned Businesses Only
A copy of the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Minutes, or other document iled with the Secretary of State
which identiies the officers, share holders and managers, if iling as a Corporation, Limited Liability Company or
Limited Liability Partnership owned business only.
• Copy of your Fictitious Name Statement
Any business that operates under a name not the actual name of the owner is required to obtain a Fictitious
Name Statement from the city or county in the area where your business is located. If the responsible agency
determines this is not required, a letter supporting such from that agency is needed.
• Copy of lease or rental agreement
• Copy of Your City and/or County Business License
Applicants are required to obtain a city or county business license by the city or county licensing section in the
area where your business is located.
• Copy of Board of Equalization Resale Permit
All applicants are required to file an application for a Seller’s Permit. The purpose of the permit is to enable the
licensee to collect taxes on sales. A dealer-wholesale only does not collect taxes but is required to file quarterly
reports. Applications can be made through local State Board of Equalization offices.
• Photograph(s) of Business Location
• Letter of Authorization
Required for new trailer dealers only. The letters of authorization must be on the issuing manufacturers,
distributors, or remanufacturers letterhead and must show either the business or corporate name and address
of the irm exactly as it appears on the application. A letter of authorization is required for each make being sold.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will be returned.



New/Used Auto-Commercial

Sell new/used automobiles and trucks to the public and licensed vehicle
Used Auto-Commercial

Sell used automobiles and trucks to the public and licensed vehicle dealers.
Dealer-Wholesale Only

Sell to licensed vehicle dealers only.

Provide the service of arranging, negotiating, assisting, or effectuating, for a
fee or compensation, the purchase of a new or used vehicle, not owned by
the dealer, for a person(s).


The type of dealers license you are applying for will determine your location requirements.



TYPE LICENSE   Property Use   Office   Sign   Display Area
New/Used A/C              •                        •             •                      •
Used A/C                          •                        •             •                      •
Wholesale Only              •                        •
Autobroker                      •                        •             •

• Property Use Verification

− Your business location must be in an area appropriate for the type of business you wish to conduct. Before
signing a lease or rental agreement, check with the agency responsible for completing the Property Use
Veriication for Vehicle Dealers License (OL 902) to ensure appropriate property use.
• Office

− Your office must be devoted exclusively for the use of your business with entry directly from the outside.Your
office must have a telephone, desk, and a filing cabinet.
− All books and records pertinent to the business must be maintained at the office (320(b) CVC).

• Sign

− Not less than 2 square feet (11709(a) CVC).

− Readable from a distance of at least 50 feet (11709(a) CVC).

− Provide information as to the dealer’s name and address (11709(a) CVC).

− Permanent in nature, able to withstand weather conditions, and erected on the exterior of the office

(408.00 CA Code of Regulations).

• Display Area

− Must be situated on the same property.
− Must be of a sufficient size to physically accommodate vehicle(s) of a type for which the dealership is
licensed to sell (409.00 CA Code of Regulations).
− Additional display areas are permitted (display only, exclusive use, and sales are not permitted) within a
radius of 1,000 feet from the principal place of business and any licensed branch location without being
subject to separate licensing (409.00(a) CA Code of Regulations).


IMPORTANT NOTE: The department will perform on site inspections to confirm the contents of photographs.
Submission of fraudulent application form(s) and/or photograph(s) is grounds to refuse to issue this and any
subsequent license.

− Photographs must be clear enough to ensure compliance with requirements.

− Each photograph must be dated and signed.

− Photograph must be attached to a sheet of paper, labeled and numbered according to directions below.


TYPE LICENSE               Office   Location   Sign   Display Area
Wholesale Only                    •                 •
New Vehicle Dealer            •                 •               •                    •
Used Vehicle Dealer           •                 •               •                   •
Autobroker (no retail)       •                 •               •


• Office
− Photographs must clearly show an office set up to perform the duties required by the license type, including
adequate secure storage for accountable materials and records.
• Entrance
− Photograph(s) of the office entrance, which includes the office address from the outside of the building.
(NOTE: See directions under sign for further directions if the address is not affixed near the office entrance
or to the exterior of the building.)
− If the office entrance is not directly accessible from the exterior, then a photograph from the corridor showing
the direct entrance is also required.

• Office Use
− Exclusive Office Use: A full photograph from the entrance to the back wall which includes both side walls.
Option: Two or more photographs that can be placed together covering the entire office area.
− Non-Exclusive Office Use: Businesses involving vehicles or their component parts must be conducted
separate from other types of businesses. Provide photographs that clearly show the physical division
between businesses involving vehicles or their component parts, (1670 CVC).

• Books and Records
− Photograph(s) of where the books and records pertinent to the type of business being conducted are kept
(320 CVC).

• Sign
− Photograph(s) must clearly show a sign permanently affixed to the exterior of the building, visible from a
distance of fifty (50) feet. If the address is not visible on the exterior of the building, then it must appear on
the sign.

− Sign From Fifty (50) Feet:

A photograph of the sign from a distance of fifty (50) feet is required.

− Sign From Property Entrance:

A photograph of the sign from the nearest public entrance to the property.

• Display Area

− Photograph(s) must clearly show an area large enough for the type of vehicle(s) for sale and must be for the
exclusive use of the licensee.
− Photographs of the complete display area.
− Photograph(s) that shows the proximity of the display area(s) to the office. If the display area is not in the
immediate vicinity of the office, another permanently installed sign is required to identify the business name
and office address.
− Photograph(s) that includes display area sign(s). If utilizing designated parking spaces, a sign must be
permanently installed designating the spaces for the exclusive use of the licensee (business name). A copy
of a contract or lease agreement for the spaces must be included with the application.

• Location

− Licensees with minimal license requirements must submit a photograph that clearly shows the place of
business (exterior of building and/or property), posted business name sign and area for licensed activity.
All application forms must be neatly printed in blue or black ink or typed.To be acceptable, they must be free from
strikeouts, whiteout (luid or tape), or corrections. All information requested must be complete and accurate.



Application for Original Occupational License, (Part C), OL 12

A. Ownership Information:

Enter the true full name(s), title, and Date of Birth of:

− The individual.

− Each partner (designate whether general or limited).

− Each principal officer and director, or stockholder of the corporation participating in the direction, control
and management of the policy of the business.

− Each member and manager of the Limited Liability Company participating in the direction, control and
management of the policy of the business.

− Each member of the Association participating in the direction control and management of the
B. Certiication:
Complete Section 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on whether the ownership of the firm is an individual, partnership,
corporation, Limited Liability Company, or Association.

Original Application for Occupational License, (Part A), OL 21A
A. Firm Information: Check the box of the type license you are applying for. If applying for dealer, select
category and mark appropriate box for Autobroker.

B. Main Office: Enter the full name(s) of the individual, partners, Corporation, Limited Liability Company or

Firm Name: Enter your business name.

Firm Address, City, State, Zip Code: Enter your business address, city, state, and zip code

Area Code/Telephone Number: Enter your business area code and telephone number.

C. Check the Vehicles to be Sold, Manufactured or Distributed at This Location:

Check the appropriate
boxes for the type(s) of vehicles you will be selling.

D. Plate(s) Request: Enter the number of plates desired.

E. For Dismantler Only: N/A

F. For Manufacturer or Remanufacturer Only: N/A

G. Financial Institution Business Account Information:
Enter the name of the bank where business account is carried, the bank’s address, area code and telephone
Account Number: Enter the business account number.
Name of person authorized to draw funds or issue checks from account. Enter the name(s) of person(s)
authorized to draw funds or write checks from the account.
If bank account is not carried under same name as shown on this application, under what name is it
carried? Enter the name the account is carried under if not the same as your business.

H. Property Use Approval: Check the appropriate box, indicating whether your dealership’s location meets
property use requirements by either the city or the county.

I. Property Data: Check the appropriate box if the property is leased, rented, or owned.
Lease or Rental Period: Enter the lease or rental period.
Approximate Square Feet: Complete the size of the property in square feet.
If the property is leased or rented, complete the following: Enter the property owner’s full name, address,
city and telephone number.
Area Code/Telephone Number: Enter your business area code and telephone number.

J. Applicant Certiication: The person who signed the Application for Original Occupational License Part C, OL
12, must complete the certiication on this form.
Surety Bond Options
Applicants must submit one of the following:
• Surety Bond of Dealer, OL 25 ($50,000).
• Surety Bond of Motorcycle Dealer, Motorcycle Lessor-Retailer, All-Terrain Vehicle Dealer, or Wholesale-Only
Dealer (Less Than 25 Vehicles Per Year), OL 25B ($10,000).
• In lieu of one of the above surety bond forms, the following deposits (see NOTICE) may be accepted:
− Cash (forms OL 65 and OL 94).
− A passbook account assigned to DMV (forms OL 64 and OL 65).
− A certiicate of deposit made payable to DMV (form OL 65).
NOTICE: Pursuant to Vehicle Code Section 11710.2, the director may order the deposit returned at the
expiration of any of the following dates:
− Three (3) years from the date a licensee has ceased to do business. (Close of business must be reported
to DMV Inspector.)
− Three (3) years from the date a licensee has ceased to be licensed, if the director is satisied that there
are no outstanding claims against the deposit.
− Five (5) years from the date a licensee has secured and maintained a dealer bond (on a form speciied
above), and the director is satisied that there are no outstanding claims against the deposit.
− A judge of a superior court may order the return of the deposit prior to the expiration of the dates provided
upon evidence satisfactory to the judge that there are no outstanding claims against the deposit.

If you obtain a Surety Bond, it must be completed as follows:

• Sole owner

− Individual name and DBA firm name.

• Partnerships

− Names of all partners and DBA firm name.

• Corporations

− Corporate name and DBA; or

− Corporate name only if DBA is the same.

• Limited Liability Company

− Limited Liability Company name and DBA; or

− Limited Liability Company name only if DBA is the same.

• Association

− Association name and DBA; or

− Association name only if DBA is the same.

To be acceptable, the Surety Bond must:
• Be signed by the surety company.
Authorization to Release Financial Information, OL 53
1. Licensee Name: Enter your name. First, middle, last and your business name.
2. Firm Name: Enter the name of your business.
3. Financial Institution: Enter the name of the bank where business account is carried.
4. Signed: Sign your name.
5. Title: Enter your title.
6. Date: Date the application.

This form must be signed by a sole owner, all partners, a corporate officer, Limited Liability Company member/
manager, or Association member.


Certiicate of Proposed Franchise, OL 124

Required of new automobile, commercial, motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle, motorhome, and recreational trailer dealers
only. The OL 124 must be signed by a person on the ownership structure of the licensed manufacturer or distributor,
or by a licensed representative of the manufacturer or distributor. An OL 124 is required for each make being sold.


Property Use Veriication for Vehicle Dealers License, OL 902

This form is to be completed by an official of the agency responsible for zoning in your area and submitted with your
application for license to a Department Inspector.


Application For Occupational License, (Part B), Personal History Questionnaire, OL 29

The following individuals are required to complete personal history questionnaires and furnish a Request for Live
Scan Service receipt or Fingerprint Cards: 1) sole owners; 2) all partners; and 3) all individuals listed on the ownership
structure of the business.

A. Applicant Information
Name: Enter your name. Last, first, middle.
Business Area Code/Telephone Number: Enter the business area code and telephone number.
Residence address: Enter address, city, county and zip code.
Home Area Code/Telephone Number: Enter your home area code and telephone number.
Date of Birth, Sex, Color Hair, Eye Color, Height, and Weight.
Driver License/Identiication Number: Enter your Driver License/Identiication Number.
Issuing State: Enter the state that issued your Driver License/Identiication.
Expiration Date: Enter the expiration date of your Driver License/Identiication Number
Social Security Number: Enter your social security number.

B. Employment History for the Past Three Years: Begin with your most recent job. List each separately.
List your employment for the last three (3) years.

C. Education: List your education.

D. Background Information:

1. Have you ever been known by or used any name other than the name appearing on this questionnaire?
Answer yes or no. If yes, list name(s). Examples: Robert Joseph Smith, Robert J. Smith, Bob Smith

2. Have you previously been or are you now licensed or have you ever applied in this state as a vehicle
salesperson, representative, distributor, dealer, registration service, dismantler, manufacturer,
remanufacturer, transporter, vehicle veriier, lessor-retailer, driving school owner, operator, or
instructor, traffic violator school owner, operator or instructor or all-terrain vehicle safety training
organization or instructor? Answer yes or no. If yes, list license number: If you do not remember the
number, indicate so.

3. Have you ever had a business or occupational license issued by this department or an application for
such license refused, revoked, suspended or subjected to other disciplinary action or were you ever
a partner, managerial employee, officer, director, or stockholder in a firm licensed by this department,
and the license was revoked, suspended or subject to other disciplinary action? Answer yes or no. If
yes, list license number, type of license, action by department, and date of action.

4. Were you ever the holder of an occupational license issued by another state, authorizing the same
or similar activities of a license, and that license was revoked or suspended for cause and was never
reissued, or was suspended for cause, and the terms of suspension have not been fulilled? Answer
yes or no. If yes, describe type of license, list license number, and state license was issued.

5. Have you ever had a civil judgement rendered against you? Answer yes or no.
If yes, was it a result of your activity under an occupational license issued by this department?
Answer yes or no. If yes, state amount and whether paid or unpaid.

6. Were you ever a partner, managerial employee, officer, director, or stockholder in a firm that had a
civil judgement rendered against it? Answer yes or no. If yes, state amount and whether paid or unpaid.

7. Have you ever declared bankruptcy or were you ever a partner, managerial employee, officer, director,
or stockholder in a irm that declared bankruptcy? Answer yes or no. If yes, give date bankruptcy filed
and name and location of court of jurisdiction and indicate personal or business.

8. Do you currently have any criminal charges pending against you in any jurisdiction? Answer yes or
no. If yes, state the court, case number and the nature of the charges.

9. Answer questions 9(a) – (d).These questions relate to any disciplinary actions, dismissals, demotions,
adverse action from employment or involvement in any civil or administrative cases, etc. Answer yes
or no. If yes, provide details.

10. All Applicants: ( Excluding traffic offenses ) Have you ever been convicted, placed on probation,
or released from incarceration following conviction for any crime or offense, either Felony or
Misdemeanor, of any jurisdiction within the last ten (10) years. Answer yes or no. Include any conviction
where you were pardoned, pled nolo contendere, or where the conviction was expunged, dismissed, set
aside or removed from the record under Penal Code Section 1203.4.


Read the information in the IMPORTANT NOTICE box. Applicants Initials Required: Initial the form.
IMPORTANT NOTE: A background investigation is conducted on all applicants. Failure to disclose any/all
convictions may result in the refusal, denial, or revocation of your license.
E. Misdemeanor or Felony Convictions: List all convictions.
F. Applicant Certiication: Enter the city, state, and title.
Signature: Sign your name.
Date: Date the application.
Applicants with convictions, prior departmental actions, business bankruptcies, and/or outstanding
civil judgements related to the automobile industry, must file an Abbreviated Application.


Appointment of Director as Agent for Service or Process,ADM 9050

The Appointment of Director as Agent for Service or Process enables the service of legal process on the Director of
Motor Vehicles in the extended absence of the licensed principal. The Appointment of Director as Agent for Service
or Process must agree exactly with the wording on the application or it will be rejected. Required for each person
listed under ownership on OL 12.


Request for Live Scan Service, DMV 8016

Every person applying for an Occupational License must furnish a copy of their Request for Live Scan Service
receipt when submitting their application to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Live Scan is an inkless electronic ingerprinting process. The fingerprints are electronically transmitted to the
Department of Justice (DOJ) for completion of a criminal background check.
Contact your local Police Department, Sheriff’s Office, or District Education Office to determine the Live Scan site
nearest you.There are more than 130 facilities throughout the state and at least one in each county. Call in advance,
some locations are by appointment only. A photo ID will be required. A Live Scan list is available from DOJ’s Live
Scan internet address at
The live scan fingerprinting service fee varies. The cost to electronically fingerprint the applicant is determined by
the local live scan agency. According to DOJ, they can charge a fee sufficient to recover their costs. The $32 DOJ
criminal record check fee is also collected at the live scan site.
If you have been previously licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles, Occupational Licensing (within the past
3 years), please complete Question #2 on the Personal History Questionnaire (OL 29) and do not complete the
Request For Live Scan Service.


Fingerprint Card,ADM 1316
A fingerprint card must be submitted for out-of-state applicants only. Fingerprint cards may be obtained by calling
Occupational Licensing at (916) 229-3126 or contacting your local Inspector. Fingerprints must be taken at a local
law enforcement agency either the Police Department or Sheriff’s Office.



Submit the required fees, forms, and documents to your local Inspector (this can be done at the time of exam). To
ensure an Inspector will be available to assist you, please call for an appointment. Detailed office information is
available at


Upon receipt of a complete application for a license which is accompanied with the appropriate fee, the department
shall, within 120 days, make a thorough investigation of the information contained in the application (11704(b)
A complete application is one that contains all the necessary completed forms (e.g., documents, bond, letters
of authorization, signatures, fees, etc.), as required for the issuance of a license. Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant for correction and/or deiciency(ies).


Permits and supplies to operate will be issued by an Inspector only after all requirements are fulilled, the background
check performed is clear, and your location has been inspected and approved.


The purpose of an abbreviated application is to allow applicants with convictions, prior departmental actions,
business bankruptcies, and/or outstanding civil judgments related to the automobile industry, to discover if a license
will be issued or reissued without incurring the possible unnecessary expenses of obtaining a bond, establishing a
place of business, and/or attending a dealer education program.
To expedite the review process, applicants with convictions may submit certiied copies of the arresting agencies
report and the court documents with their application.
An abbreviated application must be submitted to determine your eligibility for a license.
An abbreviated application consists of the following fees and documents:
• $175 Nonrefundable application fee
• $ 1 Family Support Program Fee
• OL 12, Application for Original Occupational License (Part C)
• OL 21A, Original Application for Occupational License (Part A)
• OL 29, Personal History Questionnaire (Part B)
• ADM 1316 Fingerprint Card (out-of-state applicants only).
• DMV 8016 Request For Live Scan Service (receipt).
If you are considering submitting an abbreviated application, contact the Occupational Licensing Inspector in your
area for assistance.

Applicants applying for a used dealer or dealer-wholesale only must attend a dealer education program and pass a
written examination administered by the Department of Motor Vehicles before submitting their application (11704.5
The purpose of this program is to ensure that applicants are aware of the laws and regulations governing the
operation of a used vehicle dealership in California.

• What is a Dealer Education Provider?

A dealer education program provider is a private vendor who has been authorized by the DMV to instruct
potential applicants for a used vehicle dealer license on laws and regulations governing the operation of a used
vehicle dealership in California. Dealer Education Provider’s are listed on our website at:

• Who is required to successfully complete a dealer education program?
− Sole owner
− All partners who manage the business
− A corporate officer who manages the business

• Who is not required to successfully complete a dealer education program?
− A person applying for a new vehicle dealer’s license or any employee of that dealer.
− A person who holds a valid license as an automobile dismantler, an employee of that dismantler, or an
applicant for an automobile dismantler’s license.
− A person applying for a motorcycle only dealer’s license or any employee of that dealer.
− A person applying for a trailer only dealer’s license or any employee of that dealer.
− A person applying for an all-terrain only dealer’s license or any employee of that dealer.

• Where do I go after I successfully complete the dealer education class?

After successfully completing the class you will be issued a completion certiicate. You must contact a DMV
Inspector in your area to take the test. The test consists of 40 questions and must be passed with at least 70%
For testing appointments and information regarding a dealer’s license, please call one of the Inspectors in your
You must present your original completion certiicate, issued by the provider, and your current California driver’s
license or California identiication card to take the test.

NOTE: Completion certiicates issued for completion of approved dealer education programs will be valid for
submission with new dealer license applications for a period of only one year from the date of program completion
(268.08[b] CA Code of Regulations).

• Is there a charge to take the test?
Yes, you will be charged $16 to take the test. If you do not pass, you may retake the test after a seven (7) day
waiting period.You will be charged $16 each time the test is taken.

• What if I can’t pass the test?
If, after three attempts, you cannot pass the test, you will be referred to the education provider listed on your
completion certiicate to determine if additional training is needed.

• Can I submit my application before attending the dealer education class?
Applications for a used vehicle dealer’s license will not be accepted by the department without proof of completion
of the used dealer education program and proof of successfully passing the examination or proof of being
licensed as a vehicle dealer within the past 36 months.

• Where can I obtain application forms?
You may call at (916) 229-3126 or download the application from the Internet at

car broker guide to selling your vehicle

Cartelligent has released its consumer guide to selling trade-in vehicles. The service, based in Sausalito, California and with branches in East Bay, Silicon Valley and Orange County helps thousands of people purchase cars each year across all manufacturers and help them get a great value for their current vehicle. Its team of professional car buyers has put together a guide to help consumers understand the steps they need to take to sell their car on their own.

While most people are excited by the prospect of driving home in a new car, they are typically less enthusiastic about their options on what to do with their current vehicle. One of the most common questions clients ask Cartelligent is what they should do in advance to get their trade-in ready and ensure they get a fair price with a minimum of effort and expense.

Cartelligent has compiled a list of guidelines and things for consumers to consider before selling their car to make sure that it’s in the right condition and they have everything ready to make the process go smoothly.

Consumers should locate the following paperwork in advance of selling the vehicle:

  •     Vehicle Title: If they do not know where this is, they will need to request a duplicate copy from the DMV before they can sell the car. If they still have a loan or a lease on the vehicle, they should arrange to pay off the balance and request the title before they offer it for private sale.
  •     Vehicle Registration: They will need a current copy of the car’s registration. If this has expired, they will need to pay the next year’s registration and any outstanding late fees and/or penalties before they can sell it themselves.
  •     Smog-Inspection: It is the seller’s responsibility to get the car smog-inspected and ensure that it passes.
  •     Vehicle History Report: They can obtain a vehicle history report through CarFax for $39.99 to prove that the car has not been in any accidents.
  •     Bill of Sale: Bills of Sale are available from the DMW. Both seller and buyer should fill it out completely when the sale is final.


Market Research:
Cartelligent recommends taking the time to research the vehicle’s value so that the seller knows what to expect and can weigh the potential gain of investing additional funds in repairs prior to sale. Websites like and can help them estimate the value range for their make and model. It can also be a good idea to look at similar vehicles online to get a sense for the local market value. Be aware that the asking price is often higher than the actual price the car will sell for.

A thorough detailing can make the car look more attractive and can add perceived value. Potential buyers will perceive a clean car as a well maintained car and assume the rest of the vehicle is also in top condition. Additionally consumers may want to consider repairing minor cosmetic damage such as:

  •     Minor dings or other body damage
  •     Windshield cracks (these may be covered by their insurance)
  •     Minor scratches and paint repairs
  •     Missing hubcaps or scratched wheels
  •     Headlight or taillight bulbs that have burned out

It can be a good idea to get an estimate on the cost of more extensive damage or needed repairs and then decide if the potential resale value of these will offset their upfront costs.


A mechanical check-up can let the seller know if there are any issues with the vehicle and give them an estimate as to what these will cost to repair. Cartelligent recommends that the following be taken care of:

  •     Windshield Wipers: Putting a new pair of windshield wipers on the vehicle tells potential buyers that the seller has looked after the little things and builds confidence that the car is in good condition.
  •     Tires: Ensure that tires are in new or good condition. Replacing worn tires can add value to the vehicle.
  •     Warning Lights: Cartelligent recommends repairing any underlying issues causing a lighted warning indicator before putting the car up for sale.
  •     Noises: Cartelligent also recommends repairing any mechanical problems that are causing the vehicle to make noises when driven such as suspension squeaks and belt noises.
  •     Safety: Cartelligent strongly advises that the seller repair any and all issues that could make the vehicle unsafe to drive such as faulty brakes, airbags or seatbelts.


Selling the Vehicle:
Once the vehicle is in good shape and it’s ready to put up for sale, consumers should consider the following:

  •     Ad Copy: Be as honest as possible in the body of the ad but use words that will be compelling to potential buyers and make them want to see the vehicle in person. Avoid abbreviations, first-person references to the vehicle and short-hand that may come across as unprofessional and detract from the perceived value.
  •     Photos: Take high-quality photos of the vehicle that will show it to its best advantage in the ad. Low quality camera phone photos can make the vehicle look less appealing to potential buyers.
  •     Online Ads: Cartelligent recommends the following best practices when selling a vehicle online.
  •     Consider using a disposable cell phone rather than providing a personal number.
  •     Find a public, well-lit place for test-drives and the financial exchange.
  •     Request a cashier’s check or cash for the final payment.


Once the sale has been finalized, the seller will want to inform the DMV that they are no longer financially or legally responsible for the vehicle. They can fill out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form once the sale is complete – it’s important to follow up in a few weeks to ensure that this went through.

Selling a trade-in can be time-consuming and confusing. Consulting this guide can help ensure that the process goes as smoothly and as safely as possible.

We welcome inquiries about these tips or about car buying in general. To set up an interview with one of our experts, please contact Jessica Carstens at 415-339-4562 or email jcarstens(at)cartelligent(dot)com.

About Cartelligent: For over thirteen years, Cartelligent has connected car buyers with the new car they want, at the right price. Thousands of satisfied clients have saved time and money while avoiding the hassle of the traditional dealer experience by working with Cartelligent to help them enjoy the car buying experience like never before.

what do i do to get licensed ???

· Choose the Name, Location and Type of dealership.
Once the testing is complete the student begins to
build the business.

Every dealer needs to choose a name of the
dealership and a location.

Every dealer MUST have an office.

Every dealer needs to choose the type of dealership
and vehicle type with endorsements.
Dealer types: Retail or Wholesale Only
( Retail includes Wholesale )
Vehicle Types: A/C cars and trucks
M/C motorcycles
ATV all terrain vehicles
MH motorhome
Rec T recreational trailer
Trl trailer
SM snowmobile

Endorsements: AutoBroker




san diego car dealer headed to trial

Former Miramar Car Dealer Headed to Trial

On Monday, a judge decided there was enough evidence to send John Mussari, the former owner of Mussari Motors in Miramar, to trial. Mussari is accused of cheating clients out of tens of thousands of dollars. NBC 7 Investigates reporter Mari Payton has more.

Former Miramar Car Dealer Headed to Trial

On Monday, a former Miramar car dealer accused of cheating customers was bound over for trial, expected to start next month.

Thanks to reports from NBC 7 Investigates, the District Attorney’s Office says more potential victims have come forward, and they were finally able to get enough evidence to go to trial.

NBC 7 Investigates first revealed customer complaints about Mussari and his high-end car dealership, Mussari Motors, in Nov. 2011.

Five years after the first complaints of theft and financial fraud were reported to the DMV, John Mussari was bound over for trial on 16 counts and five allegations.

“Our goal is to obtain as much restitution as possible and to also seek justice on their behalf,” Deputy District Attorney Luis Mendez said. “A lot of them are very upset and they took tie out of their lives today to testify.”

Mendez said Mussari took pre-owned Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Mercedes on consignment, sold single cars to multiple buyers, never paid the original owners and defrauded finance companies and banks.

John Mussari was formally charged with 16 felonies in February.

He remains free on a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to be back in court Dec. 4.

Mussari is also the target of a federal investigation that involves money laundering and drug trafficking proceeds.

Mussari’s lawyer, Anthony Colombo, didn’t want to comment Monday afternoon, but previously pointed out to NBC 7 that the federal investigation has dragged on for years with no charges filed.


car dealer bond ???

We are NOW offering car dealer bond quotes for every one of our car dealer education clients

 Click Here for your FREE Car Dealer Bond Quote 

CALL MIKE TODAY AT 714-797-5780


10K BOND = $ 300. PER YEAR

50K BOND = $ 1350. PER YEAR

learn how to read a vehicle identification number ( VIN )

What’s a VIN?
A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is the 17-character identifier for your car, truck, or motorcycle. It looks like this: 1VXBR12EXCP901213, and encodes the vehicle’s manufacturer, features, and serial number. No two vehicles have the same VIN, so it serves as your car’s fingerprint– this allows for all reports of accidents, title problems, insurance incidents, and more to be tracked through each vehicle’s VIN.

Through, you can look up records associated with your VIN instantly:

Enter VIN:
What’s this? Example: 1VXBR12EXCP901213

Where can I find my VIN?
You can find your vehicle’s VIN in the title document, the vehicle registration, and on the insurance policy. The VIN could also be located at the following locations on the car itself:

  • On the driver’s side dashboard
    (viewable through the windshield)
  • On the driver’s side door
    (on a sticker in the door jamb)

Why would I order a VIN report?
A VIN report lets you learn about your vehicle’s history. It includes checks for whether the car has been stolen, experienced accidents, recorded as salvaged, as well as many othertitle problem checks. Ordering a VIN report before purchasing a vehicle allows you to catch potential problems and purchase with confidence.

DMV car dealer news


To subscribe to the e-mail alert service logon to

This page contains detailed instructions on how to subscribe.
The DMV Industry Tools Home Page located at

provides convenient access to information and

links that are pertinent to the vehicle registration industry.


DMV certified dmv dealer education

we make it simple for you



Got Plates ???

Get Licensed

wholesale car dealer bond ???

We are NOW offering car dealer bond quotes for every one of our car dealer education clients

 Click Here for your FREE Car Dealer Bond Quote 

 CALL MIKE TODAY AT 714-797-5780


10K BOND = $ 300. PER YEAR

50K BOND = $ 1350. PER YEAR

get licensed in 30 days or less @gotplates

should you not get the best training possible

when applying for your car dealer license??

we suggest you invest in our training

the only #realcardealerschool

whose instructors are actually

real licensed retail car dealers


established in 1998

we teach car dealer school

in 39 california locations

find out why we are the #1cardealerschool



good car dealer education really does make a difference

from sacramento to san diego

get licensed within 30 days



Great Rates on Used Car Dealer Bond…

For Great Rates on Your Used Car Dealer Bond

please visit

Good credit, bad credit, foreclosures, short sales, a bankruptcy in your past, no worries!

We can and will help you get your used car dealer bond TODAY!


Our retail dealers choose us because we provide the most competitive Used Car Dealer Bond quotes available!!

Dealer bonds are only cheap if you have good credit

Let Your Used Car Dealer Bond find out for you NOW?

go online for your used car dealer bond @


Cheap Used Car Dealer Bond

Call 866-357-4405

what do these red prior history stickers mean ????

Title Brands-Where To Look

A “brand” is wording on a Certificate of Title or registration card that indicates certain conditions in the vehicle’s history. Most states put history brands somewhere on their titles and the wording varies from state to state (for example; Totaled, Reconditioned, Salvaged, Junked, Damaged, Rebuilt, Warranty Returned).

Although California has indicated prior history on titling documents for many years, vehicle history information is more prominently displayed on the latest revision of both the Certificate of Title and Salvage Certificate in a red box near the upper right-hand corner of the document.

Why Brands Are Important to Consumers

Brands indicate what has happened to a vehicle in the past. They can indicate high mileage, significant damage, or chronic problems.

What Conditions Require a Brand?

The following brands are placed on California vehicle titles and DMV records:

Salvaged-Vehicles marked with a “salvaged” brand were involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.

Original Taxi or Prior Taxi–Vehicles formerly used “For Hire” which usually have high mileage.

Original Police or Prior Police-Vehicles formerly used by law enforcement and which usually have high mileage.

Non-USA-Vehicles manufactured for use and sale outside the United States which have been converted to meet Federal and California safety and emissions standards.

Warranty Return or Lemon Law Buyback-Vehicles which have been returned to the manufacturer under California’s Lemon Law.

Remanufactured-Vehicles constructed by a licensed remanufacturer and consisting of used or reconditioned parts. These vehicles may be sold under a distinctive trade name.

Salvage Vehicles
Of all the vehicle brands, Salvaged has received the most attention in the past few years.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs found that more than 700,000 structurally damaged and 150,000 salvaged vehicles are returned to streets and highways every year without a safety inspection, and pose a potential hazard to all of the state’s motorists.

A Salvage Vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A Revived Salvage is a salvage vehicle which has been repaired and reregistered with the DMV.

Be Cautious When Buying a Revived Salvage Vehicle
Although many salvage vehicles are expertly repaired, some vehicles:

Are not properly repaired and/or tested and may be dangerous to operate.
Have been repaired with stolen parts. If the California Highway Patrol or DMV determines the vehicle or its parts have been stolen, the vehicle cannot be registered and the vehicle or parts will be seized.
How To Identify a Salvaged Vehicle
First, look at the title. The title will tell you:

If the vehicle is salvaged.
The mileage when the vehicle was last sold.
Who the owner of record is.
Sellers, including dealerships, are legally required to disclose the vehicle’s salvage title and history, but the law is difficult to enforce, especially when cars come in from another state. Be sure the seller is indeed the owner. If the seller isn’t the owner or an authorized agent for the owner, he or she is not entitled to sell the vehicle, and you are not entitled to buy it. If the seller’s name is not on the title, there must be documentation, such as a bill of sale, dealer report of sale, or power of attorney, authorizing that person to sell the vehicle.

Next, inspect the vehicle itself. Some of the following “clues” may indicate the vehicle has an undisclosed salvage history.

Signs of major repairs on the inner fender structures.
Mud, mold, or rust under the carpet in the trunk.
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate attached with materials other than rivets.
Safety restraint light is always on.
Airbag covers are resealed or improperly installed.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) labels which usually appear on doors, inside hood, tailgate, or hatchback are missing.
You might also want to check various aspects of the vehicle’s history by using the following links. By clicking on any of these links, you are acknowledging and agreeing (1) to not hold the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, liable for any reason relating to the condition, identification, or status of a vehicle, including, but not limited to, whether the information is inaccurate, (2) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not endorse or make any representations with respect to any vehicle, and (3) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not have a duty or ability to ascertain any facts from these links at the time application is made for initial registration or transfer of ownership of a vehicle.

Licensed Auto Broker Training from





Autobroker s Endorsement

An autobroker’s endorsement requires payment of fees as required by subdivision (d) of Section 9262 of the California Vehicle Code.

A dealer may not engage in brokering a retail sales transaction without having an autobroker’s endorsement to their dealer’s license.

Upon issuance of an autobroker’s endorsement to a dealer’s license, the department shall furnish the dealer with an autobroker’s log.  The autobroker’s log remains the property of the department and may be taken at any time for inspection.

The autobroker’s log must contain the following information with respect to each retail sale brokered by that dealer:

  • Vehicle identification number of brokered vehicle
  • Date of brokering agreement
  • Selling dealer’s name, address, and dealer number
  • Name of consumer
  • Brokering dealer’s name, address, and dealer number (CVC Section 11735)

A dealer who brokers a motor vehicle sale shall deposit directly into a trust account any purchase money, including purchase deposits, it receives from a consumer or a consumer’s lender.

  • All trust accounts required by CVC Section 11737 shall be maintained at a branch of a bank, savings and loan association, or credit union regulated by the state or the government of the United States.


please call


test drive the carfax alternative for free

Become compliant at the lowest cost
VinAudit offers a complete NMVTIS compliance solution at the best rates available.
View Prices »  Register Now » makes it easy:

Instant NMVTIS Vehicle History Reports
Get full, online NMVTIS vehicle reports you can save, email, or print.
24/7 Online and Mobile Access
Access instant reports through our web, desktop, and mobile interfaces.
Need warning stickers? We have you covered.
Members can order warning stickers for 25 cents per sticker.
Lowest Prices
We offer the lowest prices among first-level NMVTIS providers.

What is AB1215?
California Assembly Bill 1215 requires that all licensed auto dealers in California run vehicle history reports through the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) for each used vehicle sold, with a red warning sticker required on vehicles reported to be salvage, total loss, or title-branded.
More on AB1215 »  More on NMVTIS »

How much does it cost?
As a high-volume NMVTIS provider, VinAudit can offer the best rates available:

  • $20 per month
  • $1 per report

Pay month-by-month, expect no other fees, and cancel at any time.

How do I get started?
Simply register below to get a dealer account below, and start running NMVTIS reports in minutes.


Sign up for a VinAudit Dealer Account

Please register here to receive a Dealer Account for bulk access to NMVTIS reports. For instant activation, please fill all required fields.

Your Name:
Business Name:
Full Address:
Zip Code:
Website (optional):
 I agree to the VA Partner Agreement.
 I agree to the NMVTIS Disclaimer.

need straight answers ??? follow us on twitter @gotplates

car dealer plates ???

dmv auction access ???

used car dealer insurance ???

used car dealer bond ???

personal use tax ???

our resident expert Joseph

runs the gotplates twitter account

we can answer your car dealer license questions

dmv certified car dealer education





car dealer license checklist from

DMV Car Dealer Licensing Checklist

The process can be broken down into three steps:
Dealer Class, Practice Exam & Certificate
Getting your bond & submitting an Application
Final location inspection by your DMV Inspector

Here is a list of everything:
· Dealer Education School, Call TriStar Motors
800 – 901 – 5950 and to attend obtain your Certificate.
· Register On-Line at

Everyone must take the New Dealer Class,

· Obtain the DMV Inspector’s number for your area and
leave a message to schedule the examination.
The DMV website @

Then from the dmv website,,

the student must find the:
list of DMV inspectors,
application for dealers license,
list of registration forms,


· Pay $ 16. and pass the DMV exam.

When you have studied and are prepared for the
DMV dealer examination the student will make an
appointment with the DMV Inspector.

The student will
need to take their:
CA photo ID & TriStar issued DMV Certificate of Completion.
The DMV dealer test is 30 minutes long, 40 questions,
multiple choice.
The student must get 28 correct out of 40, 70%, and
three chances are allowed on one certificate.
If the student does not pass, TriStar supplemental
training is always FREE.
If the student fails the test three times, TriStar will
make a full refund.

· Choose the Name, Location and Type of dealership.
Once the testing is complete the student begins to
build the business.

Every dealer needs to choose a name of the
dealership and a location.

Every dealer MUST have an office.

Every dealer needs to choose the type of dealership
and vehicle type with endorsements.
Dealer types: Retail or Wholesale Only
( Retail includes Wholesale )
Vehicle Types: A/C cars and trucks
M/C motorcycles
ATV all terrain vehicles
MH motorhome
Rec T recreational trailer
Trl trailer
SM snowmobile

Endorsements: AutoBroker

· Obtain the Zoning Verification Letter.
Every dealer must have their location zoning
approved, using the proper DMV form, by the local
planning authority for the office location.
The proper zoning

· File a Fictitious Name Statement with the county clerk
and have it published in a local paper.
The dealer must file a Fictitious Name Statement with
the county clerk of jurisdiction for the office location.
A list of California county websites:·


Obtain a Surety Bond in the amount of $ 50,000.
Wholesale & less than 25 cars/ year then $ 10,000.
The surety bond is a promise by the dealer to honor
all obligations on behalf of the dealership, including
DMV fees and penalties, State sales tax and a
judgment by any court against the dealership.
Cash, Savings or a Bond may be posted.
Your credit report will set the Bond Premium
Some credit scores will require collateral.
The DMV form needed to submit your bond:
If less than 25 cars per year & wholesale only:

· Obtain a Business License
The city or county issuing the zoning permission letter
will usually require a business license.
· Obtain a Live Scan Fingerprint Card.
To obtain a location check:

DMV Live Scan information:
DMV Sample Live Scan Form


Obtain a Board of Equalization Seller’s Permit.
To obtain a location of a field office:
Board Information on Registration:
Application Form:

· Complete the Application and have someone read it
over for you to look for errors and omissions.

Ask your
DMV Inspector if you can FAX it in for review.
· Call the DMV Inspector and submit the Application with
your Bond Declaration Form. You must have a Bond in
place to submit your application. If you wish to be
considered for a temporary license, you must have all
photos completed as well.
list of DMV inspectors,
DMV photo requirements:

Generally you will need:
11 photos for retail
8 for wholesale, 9 for wholesale with a broker endorsement

 They are:

1 Building photo
2 Outside sign photo ®
3 Display area photo ®
4 Office
5 Business License posting photo
6 Resale Permit posting photo
7 Telephone
8 Interior Signs ®
9 Locked Cabinet
10 Checkbook
11 Dealer Book

· Build your office before you contact the DMV Inspector
for final inspection and clearance.

· Obtain a phone and have a phone line installed in the
name of the dealership, including a 411 listing.

· If retail, Obtain and install exterior signs.
One sign if sole user of the location.
Multiple signs if mixed use at the location.

· If retail, Install the three Office Signs provided by TriStar

The No Cooling Off Period Notice to Public

The Inspection of Vehicle Notice to Public

Car Buyer Bill of Rights Disclosure


 Create a locked cabinet, desk drawer, file cabinet or safe to store DMV report of sale forms.


· Open a Bank Account in the name of the dealership.

· Label a thick 3 ring binder as your dealer book.

This book will hold for all updates sent by the DMV, all ROS
forms you might have to void & your broker log. ·

For registration forms write to:
DMV Forms Office
P.O. Box 932242, Sacramento,CA, 94232
Use the list of forms from the DMV website & add the
REG 262 to the list.
list of registration forms,
Draft a letter on your dealer letterhead including a
copy of your DMV certificate of completion requesting
25 of each listed form.
These forms are sent at no charge.

· Contact for forms & disclosures.
Their website for dealer forms:

The four forms needed:

conditional sales contract CA553
English copy, 4 per set, latest version
Spanish Copy, 1 per set, latest version

as-is no warranty for Federal Buyers Guide, 327D
English copy, latest version
Spanish Copy, latest version


car buyer bill of rights option form
English copy, latest version
Spanish Copy,latest version


Not for Sale Sticker


· Create & have ready photos of your setup.
Instruction on photos @

· Final inspection follows in 90 – 120 days following
clearance from Sacramento.
The DMV Inspector will call you for an inspection appointment.
· When you pass inspection you will receive your:
dealer number
wall license
car dealer license special plates
report of sale forms, for your type of license.


good luck



please call